Monday, May 25, 2015

"Looking Out the Window"


LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW

Matthew 24:42

“Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.”

Looking out of my office window today, I see the most peaceful scene.  The trees in the forest are all leafed out in a brilliant green; the flowering crab tree is in full bloom with the deepest hot pink flowers covering every branch.  At this very minute I’m writing, a beautiful bluebird flew down to sit on its branches. 

I can only sit here and drink in this beauty and know that the peace in my heart is a gift from God.  The Bible tells us that Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” [John 14:27] 

I look out my slider window over the deck and see my gorgeous lilac bush with heavy magenta blossoms hanging over the railing.  Just beyond that is our bird feeder with so many birds flying back and forth; some sitting on the branches of the lilac bush.  Our visitors at the feeder range from bright orange orioles to rose- breasted grosbeaks to yellow and purple finches.  Now and then the bluebirds come to rest by the birdbath along with doves and red-bellied woodpeckers.  We sometimes just sit at the table watching all the activity.  Again, peace and contentment washes over us.

At times like these, it’s easy to forget the rest of the world is in chaos. Evil terrorists are on the move to conquer by cutting off heads, shooting down innocent people; men, women and little children.  In parts of the world many are starving and without drinking water.  Children are left to die in the streets and women are being raped and tortured.  Earthquakes are leaving thousands dead and thousands injured and homeless.  I’m sure they don’t sit around enjoying the trees, flowers and birds.  They are too busy just trying to stay alive.

Many of us complain because we want to spend money we don’t have, or take trips we can’t afford.  In fact, we find it difficult to give money to our churches; money we could use for pleasure.  If people didn’t give there wouldn’t be any churches.  We spend one or two hours a week in God’s presence and complain about it.  Jesus tells us that, “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” [Matthew 18:20] That is why people go to church – because Jesus, our Savior is there also.  If we can’t spend that little time with him, how will you ever make it in heaven?

Our government is a mess and looks like it won’t change any time soon, but it is still the greatest country in the world.  You could have been born in any other country, but God chose for you to be here and whether you know it or not, you are blessed.  He has given you peace if you receive it.  He has given you joy if you accept it. 

You and I may not be able to fight in a war, or feed all the hungry in this world, or provide housing for all the homeless, but we can help those around us.  We can share God’s love with whomever we meet.  We can be thankful and content with where we are in life.  The apostle Paul tells us, I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.”  Philippians 4:11 (NLT)  

This doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try to better our circumstances, but I have found that when we are faithful to God, he is faithful to us and will prosper us in his time.  He loves us so much he wants to make us happy, but he also expects us to love him, give him first place in our heart and praise him for all he has done for us.  If you have faith, you will know that God is your provider.  He is surely my provider and fulfilled my needs by giving me food, clothing and shelter; he has promised that.  He has given me so much more like trees, flowers and birds.  I am so grateful for all of it.

I look out of my window again, Lord, and I give praise and thanks for each thing, but help me to remember those around the world who are less fortunate than I am.  I know you hear the cries of your people all over the world.  I pray you supply their needs and protect their lives.  Heal those who are sick and those who need a touch from you.  Amen!

 Psalm 23 (New Living Bible)

The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. 
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. 
You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, And I will live in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment