Monday, May 4, 2015

A FORK IN THE ROAD


A FORK IN THE ROAD

You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.”  Matthew 7:13-14 (NLT)
 Our journey through life begins with our first breath and only ends with the final one.  Just as a physical journey, it begins with one step.  As we grow and mature we begin to choose the direction our steps take.  The pattern for most of us is in a variety of directions and if we could look back on it, like looking at a map, it would appear like a maze in a corn field. 
Thinking back on my own life, I came to many forks in the roads I traveled.  Sometimes, I just took off in another direction without even thinking about it.  Others I thought about and then took the road that I thought would lead to joy and happiness, but lead to sadness and depression.  Then one day I met the Savior, Jesus Christ, and chose to follow him and it was the best decision I ever made.  I haven’t wandered far off that road since I started.
I call the name of the road, “The Christian Road.” Matthew 7:21 says that Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.”   One thought on this is that many people call themselves Christians because they believe in God and they attend church, but is God the number one priority in their life.  Have they set themselves aside and don’t just go along with the crowd?  I want to make this clear, a lot of people believe in God, but so does Satan.  He knows there’s a God and he knows Jesus is the son of God. 
In Matthew 4:8-10, “Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, "All these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me.”  So, you see it isn’t enough to just know about these things.  Jesus went even further in dealing with Satan and what he said tells you exactly what you need to do to be on the right road to heaven.  Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, you shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.”
Here is the truth that makes the difference between taking the right road or the wrong one, ‘you must worship God and serve Him only’.   It isn’t as easy as it sounds. Some of the things people enjoy like, golf, hunting, sports, quilting, watching TV or going to the movies can become gods in your life.  None of these pastimes are wrong or bad, but if they take first place in your heart, then you are not where you should be on the path you have chosen.  Making money is a top priority for many people; they forget if they die tomorrow, they can’t take any of it with them. 
There will come a judgment day for each of us and if God is not our first priority, or if we have chosen the wrong road to walk, I never want to hear these words.  On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But, (Jesus said) I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me’.”   Matthew 7:21-23 (NLT)
This is why we must keep our heart and mind on Jesus and not become distracted by the glamour and glitter; the sounds and colors of the wrong road.  I only know this; I don’t want to miss Heaven.  I don’t want my loved ones to be distracted by a life where they think ‘everything goes’.  Some say we need to change with the times and accept the life styles of today.  WRONG!  If God’s Word declares it a sin, then how can we turn our back on the Almighty and declare it to be right?  The Bible tells us that God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow; He never changes and He never will. 
“Lord, as we walk through this life and come to the ‘Fork in the Road’, open our eyes to see the truth and open our ears to hear you speak directions in our hearts.  Your Word says that ‘few’ will ever find that narrow road that leads to eternity with you in your kingdom.  Lord, I pray that I will be counted as one of the few.  Forgive me when I wander and keep me on track.  I thank you for loving me and dying for me; be the only God in my life.  Amen”  
Pray this prayer with your whole heart and you will find yourself where, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path”.  [Psalm 119:105] You will be on your way to heaven!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment