Sunday, July 14, 2013

WHO WANTS TO BE A WINNER?


WHO WANTS TO BE A WINNER?

             I would guess that almost everyone would answer that question with a ‘YES’.  If you are a competitive person you will always try to win whether in racing, game playing or being in any kind of a contest.  I know I am quite competitive, especially when playing a board game.  In order to win, you must press forward as hard as you can and give your very best for it.

            Work ethics have always been a strong force in my life.  Not that I was trying to win something, but I knew it would pay off to give my best to my job.  Actually, I found great rewards by doing this such as promotion, bonuses and more pay.  If we do our best, God will do his best and we will find favor in the workplace. 

            I am reminded of Joseph in the Old Testament.  Joseph lived through some very tough times; his brothers wanted to kill him, but sold him to be a slave in Egypt.  Because of his faithfulness to God and his great work ethics he was promoted in the household where he worked.  Then he was betrayed by his master’s wife and ended up in prison.   Even there he found favor and eventually was brought before the Pharaoh who promoted him to a place where only the Pharaoh himself, was higher than Joseph over the whole land of Egypt.  

            The Message Bible puts it this way: “So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time.” 1 Peter 5:6
            Not only do we want to be a winner in life itself, but we should want to be a Spiritual winner.  Whether you like it or not, as Christians how we work, play or pray is an example to all of those around us.  What others see in our lives may help them to make a decision in their life.  The following scripture tells us how a Christian should live.  “Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.”  2 Timothy 2:22

            We all know what righteous living is, as well as love and peace, but do we understand faithfulness.  The dictionary says it means: constant, conscientious, agreement, steadfastness.  This applies to all areas of our life; physically as well as spiritual.  Faithfulness is one of the fruit of the Spirit [Galatians 5:22-23].
            I don’t enjoy losing in any contest, but above all I don’t want to lose this race in life.  I think of what the apostle Paul said in I Corinthians 9:24; “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.”  What is the prize?  Eternal Life!

            Of all the things I have read and studied in the Bible, one thing stands out in my mind and it’s found in Matthew 7:21-23 (NLT); Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.  On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’  But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.”
            To put it plainly, I want to be a winner; a winner in this life and for eternity.  I’m the only one who can decide to win or lose.  Even God can’t make that decision for me.  I chose to follow Jesus and to run the race of life so I can enter heaven.  Yes, Jesus death on the cross gave me the free gift of salvation, but if I chose to throw it away and be a loser, the ball is in my court.

            What are you going to do with God’s gift; lose it or choose it?         
           
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment