Sunday, July 28, 2013

JESUS, LOVER OF MY SOUL


JESUS, LOVER OF MY SOUL

A Psalm of David.  25:1

“To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.”

            “Jesus, Lover of my Soul” is one of my favorite songs.  I love to play it on the piano in a soft jazz rhythm.  It just seems to move my spirit.  Mostly, we just sing the song because it’s moving, but the title alone holds many mysteries when you meditate on the words. 
            Let’s explore what the ‘soul’ is according to the dictionary.  (It is the immortal or spiritual part of the person without any physical or material reality, and is the emotional and moral thinking part of a human.)

 Now to go to the Word of God:  Did you know that the ‘soul’ is mentioned 1,497 times in the Bible and 294 times in Psalms alone.  As many of the Psalms are believed to be King David’s writings and songs, we realize how concerned he was with his soul.  Taking the number of times it is mentioned in the Bible, we can know how important it is to God. 
            It has been observed over and over again that at the time a person dies, the invisible spirit leaves their body.  Although it has no physical matter, it has been proven there is a change of weight in the body. In the book of Ecclesiastes 12:6-7, it appears to explain it.  Remember your Creator before the silver cord is loosed, Or the golden bowl is broken, Or the pitcher shattered at the fountain, Or the wheel broken at the well. Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.”

            I believe this silver cord is our spirit’s lifeline to our physical body in the same way our umbilical cord is our lifeline to our mother’s body during birth.  To put this in simple words is to say [my interpretation], “Remember, or think about God while you are young before it’s too late.  When you die, [when the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher shattered]; [the wheel is broken at the well], the well of your life is dried up.  Then your body turns to dust and goes back into the earth.  Your spirit then returns to God in heaven where your choice while you lived will determine whether you go to Heaven or Hell.
            This warning is to every living soul.  This is why the Lord loves our soul so much.  He created us in our mother’s womb and placed our soul inside our body. You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.  You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. .”  Psalm 139:13-16 (NLT)
            I do not believe that God cares how our bodies look, or whether we have hair or not; His eyes are on the heart (our soul).  The heart is considered to be the source of emotions, thoughts, feelings and our conscience.  So what is the difference between the soul and spirit?  We live in a body and have a soul, but the real person inside of us is our spirit.  When we accept Christ as our Savior our spirit becomes new because now we are born of God.  2 Corinthians 5:17 says Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
            Our old self was covered in dirt and grime from our past and when we are born again, it was washed clean and becomes new.  We know this by the fact that God has placed a new spirit within us and our body becomes the “temple of the Holy Spirit”.  [I Corinthians 6:19]

            We are made up of 3 parts; body, soul and spirit.  Again, I must say that the soul and spirit live within the body.  Let’s read in Genesis 2:7 (KJV):  “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”  Every human is created in God’s image, therefore able to communicate with God.  Perhaps all creatures have a soul, but they do not have a spirit as does a human being.  Only the spirit of a person can communicate with God. 
            Psalm 25:1:“To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.”  In simple words we can say, “I give you all of me; my body, soul and spirit.”  That is what God wants from you; your entire being.  He loves you entirely; that’s why he sent his Son, Jesus to die for your sins, wash you clean and make you a new creature – a clean soul.  How true it is, “Jesus, Lover of my Soul”.

When my life has ended, my body and my soul will perish, but my spirit shall rise to heaven and I will be given a new body that will never die, and my spirit shall live forever more. 

 

 

           

 

No comments:

Post a Comment