Sunday, July 21, 2013

CAN I LIVE A HOLY LIFE?


CAN I LIVE A HOLY LIFE?

            I’m sure many of us have asked this same question; is it possible to live a Holy Life?  I have thought about this quite often when I do or say things that are unholy.  Leviticus 19:2 tells us, “You must be holy for I, the Lord your God, am holy.”  He didn’t say that to taken lightly.  So how can we be Holy?
     First, we must be saved by receiving Jesus as our Savior.  (John 3:16)  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

     Secondly, from that time on our life should change. 2 Corinthians 5:17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
     Thirdly, we must show others that we are Christians by living Holy Lives.  2 Timothy 1:9 “For God saved us and called us to live a Holy Life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.”

            This does not mean we are perfect, nor will we become perfect in this world; it’s impossible.  But, as Christians we should desire to live more like Jesus.  We should practice the fruit of the Spirit such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.  This is found in Galatians, 5:22   It’s not always easy no matter how spiritually mature you are.  Our humanness strives with our spirit on many of these things.  Are we always kind?  Are we always patient?  How about being faithful?  Be honest; how often do we give in to having things go our way instead of being faithful and wait for God’s way?
            It is work to live a Holy life; anything worth having is worth working for.  Hebrews 12:14 puts is this way; “Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord.”  We might not like thinking about these things, but I didn’t write it; it’s in the Bible.  I must remind myself that salvation its self was not free; Jesus paid the price so we might receive it and have eternal life.  If it wasn’t for God’s mercy and grace, we wouldn’t know this today.

            I know that many preach that once we receive Jesus as our Savior we are saved and don’t ever have to think about it again.  We can do whatever and God’s grace cover’s it all.  I never understood that way of thinking, although it sounds great; I am sure we must ask forgiveness when we fall into sin.  I am also sure once we are saved, we cannot just sit back and do nothing for the Lord.  In 2 Peter 2:21 it tells us this;  “It would be better if they had never known the way to righteousness than to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life.” You see, living a holy life is a ‘command’, not a suggestion.  Not that it makes us greater or more spiritual, but it helps us to reach out and touch others with kindness, compassion and peace.
            Jesus is coming back to claim his own; we don’t know when that will be, but I know I want to be ready.  I struggle trying to live a holy life and I surely don’t always succeed, but God knows my heart and sees that my desire is to follow him.  2 Peter 3:11 shows us how important it is to try to do that.  “Since everything here today might well be gone tomorrow, do you see how essential it is to live a holy life?”

Thank you God for showing us the way and when we stumble and fall, you pick us up and help us to continue on until we go home to you, or you return to us.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment