Tuesday, August 28, 2018


A Study in Psalms

From a Laywoman’s Perspective
Psalm 1:2 “But they delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night.”

To my Readers, I have written over the last years, three hundred and sixty blogs and except on special occasions, have taught on the world’s ailments.  However I feel the Lord leading me to share more on the Word of God and with more understanding.  So I am writing on a different Psalm each week and how it can be applied to our lives today.  This is not a deep study, but one I hope enlightens you as we live in different times than when these were written, yet they hold the same truths.
When I first accepted Christ as my Savior, I began reading the Bible in a manner of someone starving.  I couldn’t get enough of it. I felt the Psalms spoke deeply to my heart and I read them over and over again.  Psalm #1 showed me that I was blessed if I stayed away from those who practiced evil.  What an eye-opener. These were my friends; people that I once admired and had worldly fun with.  I soon discovered my old friends wanted nothing to do with me as I shared the Word of God with them.
As time went on, I made new friends; they wanted to talk about things of God and we learned from each other.  They wanted to pray about the things that needed prayer, (vs.2).  Many of my new friends were like trees planted by rivers of water.  I could see that many of them brought forth fruit.  What I mean by that is that they were so excited to pray with people and see them give their heart to Jesus. It seemed like the more they gave of themselves the more they prospered in different ways; spiritually, mentally and physically.
Many times I’ve heard people say, “You can’t out give God.”  I have found that to be true; not only in giving of what you have, but giving of yourself so that others can follow our Lord. However in verse 4, we see a comparison that showed me, “The ungodly are not so.”   Over the years I have seen those who were church goers and so proud, but when things got tough, they walked away blaming God for everything that happened to them. Their hearts were cold and proud. 
I made a decision then that I would walk with God and stand no matter how hard things were.  I would not go backwards if my life depended on it and it did.  Verse 6 says, “The Lord knows the way of the righteous.”  Those words are what you might think were old-fashioned or meaningless, but the fact is they are as true today as when they were written. He knows the way of every Christian; he knows your mind, your heart, and even your thoughts.  Keep that in mind when you think being a Christian is not enough for you. It goes on to say, “Sinners will have no place among the godly.”
The last part of verse 6 says, “For the LORD watches over the path of the godly,” and finishes with these Words, But the path of the wicked leads to destruction.”  This was enough to convince me that serving Jesus was the best path to take in my life.  Of course my life didn’t change overnight, but I tried to follow God’s way.  I chose to let myself learn from God’s Word and follow him.
What I learned from Psalm 1, is that we are given a choice on how we want to live.  If you wanted to be blessed, if you want to prosper, if you want the Lord to know you in a deeper way and for you to know Him, stick with Him; you’re headed in the right direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment