Saturday, March 31, 2018

Waiting for Morning

Waiting for Morning

Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.” Luke 24:1

When I was about 7 years old, my parents were taking a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where my father would buy fur from the trappers who lived there.  We would stay in a rustic cabin where my mother and I would play games and I would do my school work that my teacher sent along with me. The morning we were to leave, my parents woke me up very early and climbed into the car.

I had never been up this early before and as we were driving east, pink rays began to appear across the sky.  I had never seen this sight before and I was so excited to watch the colors break across the dim sky. My mother explained how this happened almost every morning.  It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  My parents tried to get me to lay down among the pillows and blankets in the back seat where I set in my pajamas.  They knew we had a long trip in front of us, but I could not sleep when I could watch the glorious Straits of Mackinaw where I woke up to see a big boat with what looked like big open jaws that cars were driving into.  It was a car ferry. The big Bridge was not yet built, but riding across the water was another exciting adventure for me, but the excitement of a morning sunrise is what I remember most.

I don’t think there was any excitement in the women who were going to the tomb to anoint Jesus body. Saturday evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene and Salome and Mary the mother of James went out and purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus’ body. Very early on Sunday morning, just at sunrise, they went to the tomb. On the way they were asking each other, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance to the tomb?” But as they arrived, they looked up and saw that the stone, which was very large, had already been rolled aside.” Mark 16:1-4 (NLT)

Now the excitement rose in each of them as they ran to tell the disciples what happened.  It was still very early Sunday morning and the Bible says it was at sunrise, which tells me it was going to be a very beautiful day and I’m sure fingers of pink, blue and lavender had spread across the heavens.  What a glorious day this was going to be.  Their hearts had to be pounding as doubt and then hope rose up in them.

Then Peter arrived at the tomb and went in.  “He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that had covered Jesus’ head was folded up and lying apart from the other wrappings.” John 20:3-7 (NLT) This meant something more to the Jews than we can understand, but Peter knew then that Jesus had risen from the dead just as he had told them he would.  I don’t know how Peter was able to contain his excitement and joy as he returned home and told the others what he had seen.  Jesus was alive!  He had risen!  What could be as glorious as that?

Listen to this – it is going to happen again.  He is coming again to claim His own; that’s you and me and all who believe.  I believe it will be a most glorious day.  I, for one, will be waiting for the day he comes.  Today we praise him with the words, “He is risen; risen again!”  But the day is coming when we will praise him in person.  We will be in his presence as we rise in the air. Talk about excitement and joy as we come to the place that we have strived to be and that is in His presence. I’m waiting for the Sunrise!


No comments:

Post a Comment