Monday, March 2, 2015

Then and Now


THEN AND NOW

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God;
 and those who are the called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28

 
Can you imagine what life would be like if everything went exactly the way we wanted it to? So many times throughout our life we have wanted things that would surely cause disaster in the long run.  There have been times for all of us that we went against God’s plans and did our own thing.  What a mess that was! 

Looking back, I wondered how I even survived all of it.  However, behind the scenes, there was a loving Father in heaven who was watching over me and without my help, turned things around.  I have loved God for a very long time, but in my younger years chose to step out of His will.  Did I know better? Yes I did, but did it anyway.  I’m sure most of you have gone through the same thing in your life. 

There are those who may question this scripture in Romans 8:28 and ask, “How does my loved one who dies of cancer work for good”?  “How does it work for good that I have a sickly and crippled child?”  “My finances are so bad and I lost my job; how does that work for good?” How does it work for good that I have had so many surgeries and still need more and I hurt every day?”  I have an answer for each of these questions!  How do I have an answer, because I have lived through each of these painful times? 

My younger sister had a rare brain tumor and passed away 4 years ago.  She lived 9 months after they discovered the tumor and we spent that time sharing memories of childhood, sharing the love of Jesus and just loving each other.  It was a terrible tragedy for me and I miss her and think about her every day, but I will be forever grateful knowing she left this earth totally trusting in her Savior and knowing she is enjoying heaven today with our mother and many others.  Our family grew so close during that time and others I know received Jesus as their Savior.  It was bitter-sweet, but others grew from her strength and faith and someday I will join her in her heavenly home.  All things work together for the good. 

My eldest daughter was only a few months old when they found she had meningitis and following that she had polio. (Her story was in Guideposts, “Mysterious Ways” magazine.)  Those were sad and difficult years for my crippled and sickly daughter and for our young family. There were many who prayed for her and today she and her husband have two daughters, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.  She has made 9 missions trips around the world.  She is still very active at her church where she and her husband are pastors. All things work together for the good. If you want to read her story, email me and I will send you a copy. 

Years later when I turned my life over to the Lord in a miraculous healing of body and soul, instead of things getting better, they got worse.  Our finances were in terrible shape and we were on the verge of losing everything, when I lost my job.  My husband was still working, but we had so much debt we couldn’t keep up.  We sold our home to get out from under our bills and moved into an apartment and a job opened up for me.  It was then the Lord put on our hearts to tithe.  We could barely make it as it was, but by this time our faith was building and so we thought we would try it.  The first Sunday we tithed, there was nothing left for groceries or car gas to get back and forth to work.  By Wednesday, I was pretty scared because both cars were nudging empty.  I made it home from work and grabbed the mail and there was a check inside that was owed to us from our house selling and we didn’t even know about it.  We have never stopped tithing and God has met our every need. All things work together for the good.   

I am the one who has had so many surgeries; I’m like the bionic woman.  I still need a knee replacement, but it can wait a while yet.  I’m too busy writing my blogs; teaching others about the love of God; occasionally preaching Sunday service; being the accountant for my church and spending quality time with my many family members.  Yes, I know I’ll be 81 in April, but I’m on God’s business for as long as He will use me and that is probably until my last breath.  After all, all things work together for those who love God and are called according to his purpose.  I’m traveling on God’s plan, not mine. 

There is an old saying, “When the going gets tough; the tough get going.”  I’d like to change that to, “when life gets rough; the Believer hangs in there.”
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment