Monday, November 17, 2014

Don't Eat Yellow Snow


Don’t Eat Yellow Snow

“Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”  Psalm 51:7 (NLT)

It never failed for my mother to caution me to never eat yellow snow.  The way she said it put fear in my heart than I would probably die if I ate yellow snow.  I don’t think she ever told me why, but I knew it was really bad!  So I never did eat it, thankfully.  I also never ate snow with little black things in it, which was soot from the coal furnaces.  However, white snow was clean and pure in those days and we all enjoyed it.
 
Sin reminds me of something I shouldn’t consume because it might kill me; like yellow snow.  The Bible tells us that “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” [Romans 6:23] What does this have to do with snow?  The above scripture explains it all; if we ask God to forgive us, he does it immediately and purifies us by washing us clean and here’s the big TRUTH – He makes us “whiter than snow!”

Sin is dirty in the eyes of God and the only way to get rid of it is to ask God to forgive us and purify us.  You may think that God doesn’t hear your prayers because of the life you lived; not true. God is always waiting to hear from you.  In fact, in Isaiah 1:18 he calls you to him, Come now, and let us reason together," Says the Lord, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.” 

How does God wash our sins away?  We are washed clean by the blood Jesus shed for us on the cross.  There is no other way; bleach will not take out the black sin of our life, not any kind of soap or detergent only the blood of Jesus can remove sin.  1 John 1:7 explains it simply, “…the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.”  Now, if you have asked God, the Father to forgive you of your past sins and the Blood of Jesus Christ has washed you spiritually and made you white as snow, there is no way God can see your sin any longer.  In fact He says in Psalm 103:12, He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.”  And in Micah 7:19, “He will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.”

Our past has been washed away and we are clean; we are forgiven and God has forgotten our sins, so what is holding you back from serving God with your whole heart?  If you are a parent you probably understand this better than many because if your child has done something wrong, you may have let them know they were naughty, but you still loved them and taught them right from wrong, and your love washed it all away and you didn’t keep bringing it up. 

That’s how our heavenly Father is and when he looks at us, we are white as snow.  Many years ago we used to sing this song that explains how God sees you:

I am covered over with the robe of righteousness that Jesus gives to me,  
I am covered over with the precious blood of Jesus and he lives in me.      
What a joy it is to know, my Heavenly Father loves me so, He gives to me my Jesus.  
When he looks at me, he sees not what I used to be, but he sees Jesus.   
                                                           
 
 
 
                                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment