Saturday, January 26, 2013

HOT OR COLD?


Hot or Cold?

In Michigan and elsewhere the temperatures have been extremely cold.  All the snow is welcome to those who enjoy winter sports and those whose businesses need snow to bring in customers, but the cold is another story.  When the thermometer hovers around 0 degrees, it brings a lot of trouble for some; pipes freeze; cars won’t start and the bills go sky-high.
            I don’t like the cold and ice and wish I was off in some balmy place where the sun is warm and the palm trees wave in the breeze.  Then I shake it off and remind myself I live in Michigan where the winter weather changes daily.  In my younger years I enjoyed skiing, snowmobiling and ice skating, but now I don’t like the snow or the frigid temperatures.

I think about those who might not have heat or shelter or even warm clothing.  Does God think about them, too?  Of course he does and throughout the Word we are told to help those in need.  If you know someone that needs heat or warmer clothing or gloves, we need to help them.  Why?  Because Jesus told us we should love our neighbor as our self.
If our hearts are cold we have little concern for other people’s lives.  Today, it appears that many are concerned only for themselves.  That is not how Christianity works!  If we have given Him our hearts and serve Him, we will love others and do what we can for them.  In these days, we see what Jesus talked about in Matthew 13:15 “For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes— so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them.”
           In Matthew 24:12, we are told that “Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold.” (TLB)  Well, sin is truly rampant everywhere and I am amazed at the number of people who just let it roll off their backs.  We need to guard our hearts so they never become hardened, not only against God, but the people around you. 

How is your relationship with God?  Are you still as excited as you were when you first were ‘born again’?  I remember well those many years ago when I asked Jesus into my heart and my heart burned within me.  I carried my Bible everywhere I went and shared the love of God with everyone I met.  I read the Bible constantly until the pages were so worn they fell out.  That Bible was so marked up and highlighted it was hard to read.  I’ve had several Bibles since, but never quite worn them out like that first one.  I actually had family and friends who told me they would leave if I didn’t quit talking about it.  One day I was asked if I couldn’t think of something else other than God.  I told them ‘no’, and they left.
Over the years my faith has grown, but my zeal has diminished.  I don’t have the energy to do what I once did for the Lord.  I long for those times again, but God uses me in other ways.  No matter how much I learn or whatever I do, in my heart it will never be enough.  I pray the Lord will put a new fire in my heart for Him.
I never want to hear these words from God: “I know you well—you are neither hot nor cold; I wish you were one or the other!  But since you are merely lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth!” Revelation 3:15-16 (TLB)  
I know this – a Christian cannot be lukewarm or wishy washy.  There is no room in the Kingdom of God for those who talk the talk, but don’t walk the walk.  People can be like chameleons; zealous for the Lord one day and then the next day zealous for the things of the world.  Our whole focus should be on serving God and being an example in our everyday living so that others will want to be a Christian.
There is a scripture that is often my prayer: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You.” Psalm 51:10-13 (NKJV)   Notice that we need that clean heart and steadfast spirit, because it is after that we have the ability to teach sinners and they will be saved.
            Let our hearts burn for Him and not get cold as we go about our daily lives.  May God bless you and keep him close to your heart.









 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment