Monday, September 17, 2018


A Study in Psalms - #20

From a Laywoman’s Perspective

In times of trouble, may the LORD answer your cry.  May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm.”   Psalm 20:1

What a reassurance that we have a mighty Father in heaven that watches over us.  I dare say that if the truth is known, we have been in the valley of death more times than we can imagine.  How many times have you had close calls when driving and even wondered yourself how you managed to get out of being in a terrible accident? God’s angels are always nearby and I for one am so grateful for such protection.
Yes, people die, have accidents and diseases, but my answer to this is in verse 7, “Some nations boast of their chariots and horses, but we boast in the name of the LORD our God.” (NLT).  Our heavenly Father has told us to trust him for everything in our lives. How can that be?  Because we have free will and make poor choices.  How often do we give our problems to Him?
As for myself, I’ve made many wrong choices and decisions without praying about it and I’m sure you’ve done the same thing.  When we do that, there is often a price to pay.  Let me reassure you God will help you.  In Matthew 6:26 it tells us, “Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?”  Then it goes on to say, “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.”
When King David wrote this Psalm and left us with this prayer, May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed.”   People have misunderstood this Psalm and misguided others with verse 4.  Now let’s look at this verse with a little more understanding.  First, if our desires are ungodly and out of God’s will, common sense tells you that God will not give it to us.  On the other hand, if our hearts desires are in the will of God, he will not hold back from us.
I knew a godly Christian man who loved motorcycles and he really believed that when he gets to heaven there will be a beautiful motorcycle waiting for him to ride all over heaven.  I really don’t believe that is what heaven is like.  Let’s read this again; May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed.”  First of all, it is talking about a time on earth, not in heaven.  Secondly, God wants to make our plans succeed, and because God wants us to succeed, it must be a part of God’s plans for us.  If there is any victory in God’s plans for us, it will include God’s victories.
There have been times in my life when I sincerely called out to God.  One snowy winter’s evening I was on my way to our church for rehearsal for a Christmas play we were doing when suddenly my front wheel drive caught in the snow and spun my car into a ditch.  I cried, “Jesus, help me.”  My car was on its side and then it settled down and although I was headed in the other direction, I was able to pull out of the ditch and turn it around and headed back toward the church.  What was amazing is that when my husband stopped by, he look at my car and the mirror on the passenger side was broke and hanging there; the whole side of the car was dented in and the tire was totally flat.  I didn’t even know it and had driven about five miles more after my accident.
God is faithful! Never be afraid to cry out to Him


.

No comments:

Post a Comment