Monday, October 16, 2017

Searching for Peace Within

Searching for Peace Within

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”   John 14:27

In these troubled times, some people find it hard to find peace.  I think of this past week and the terrible wild fires burning block after block of homes.  Who can even imagine the fear; the grief and the loss of those in the midst of such destruction?  There are still so many not accounted for.

We have had so many catastrophic events to happen here in the last few months, many have asked if we are entering into the “End of Days”.  There is the threat of North Korea and the repercussion of Iran’s deal with former president Obama.  These are not times of peace in our country, let alone the world.  These things affect some more than others.

As for myself, I believe that ‘God is God’ and he can handle it far better than I can.  I can still close my eyes at night and have a good night’s sleep.  “I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.”            [Psalm 33:5] I look at it this way, “He who keeps you will not slumber.” [Psalm121:3]  So if God doesn’t sleep, why should I stay awake worrying about things I can’t do anything about?

Going back to the scripture for today, Jesus really stressed the point of peace.  He says that he has given us a spiritual peace unlike anything the world can offer us. He even goes further by saying, “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”  Peace and fear do not mix; you can’t have both at the same time.  Let’s begin with the word, ‘fear’.

This is a very familiar word to me.  I spent the first 40 years of my life living in fear; fear of everything. I was afraid to live and afraid to die.  In earlier years I had tried to commit suicide three different times and when I look back now, I am amazed at how the Lord saved me from dying and in wonder of how I could have ever done such a thing. At the very lowest point in my life, I had an experience with Jesus Christ and asked him to come into my heart (mind) and promised to serve him the rest of my life and I try to do that every day.

I began to read the Bible and study it, and there was a scripture that stood out to me, “I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4.  Notice that it says, “I sought the Lord” and he did hear me and took away those fears. Praise God!  Yes, there are times when I worry about a loved one or grieve over something, but I know for a certainty that God can handle it and prayer sustains me. From this comes peace of mind.

Now comes the word, “Peace”. The world will never be at peace so don’t expect that to happen.  We should pray for peace for certain things.  Pray for peace for our country and God tells us we should Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May they prosper who love you.” [Psalm 122:6] Think about this, way back in the time of King David, God says we should pray for the peace of Jerusalem because it is the apple of God’s eye.  If you ever think of all the countries who hate Jerusalem and want to destroy it, this is why.  They are ruled by Satan and want to destroy anything that God loves.

The word, “Hate” should not be in a Christian’s vocabulary.  We are called by God to love others and so we should.  When I write about other religions; that is what I’m writing about; not hating these people, but who they serve and the evil things they do.  Yet, the world calls us “Haters”; that is so wrong.  I pray that every single person would come to know Jesus as their Savior; Muslims, Hindus, Buddhist’s and all those who don’t know God.

When I write about life styles, I’m not hating the people who choose to live those ways. I love them and it grieves me beyond what you can imagine to know they are not living for Christ, because according to God’s Word, they are not going to heaven. I have found that most people living a different life style do not have peace in their life.

Friends, there is an old song that I try to follow and it explains the stand I make as a Christian.  It explains how I can find peace in times of anxiety and distress.  You may be in a storm or some crisis; you may be afraid for yourself or someone you love, but it cannot erase the peace of God unless you allow it to.  If you make a decision to follow Jesus, you will find peace that has eluded you in the past.  I promise you will never regret turning your life over to Him.

I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow                                                                                               No turning back, no turning back.

The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.

     Though none go with me, still I will follow;
     Though none go with me, still I will follow;
     Though none go with me, still I will follow;
     No turning back, no turning back.




No comments:

Post a Comment