Monday, January 16, 2017

Rest in the Lord

Rest in the Lord

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe.  Psalm 4:8 

So many people have trouble sleeping and many don’t understand the concept of ‘resting in the Lord’.  Resting doesn’t mean just ‘sleeping’ although it includes it.  There are 931 times the Bible uses the word ‘rest’ in the Bible.  That means it is quite significant and I would like to study it today to see if we can find the whole concept of the word ‘rest’.

First, let’s talk about rest meaning sleep.  Usually a person who can’t sleep is anxious about something.  They may not believe that’s the cause, but it really is.  Maybe they are making plans for something and so they lay awake half the night worrying about it.  Perhaps they are thinking of a loved one or even themselves and sleep escapes them.  Think it through; “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.”   [Philippians 4:6] The Bible tells us that we should be anxious for nothing. If we have asked God to take care of a situation, we should not be anxious about it.

If we are still anxious then we do not trust God.  Therefore, we lay awake nights trying to figure out what we can do and leave God out of the whole situation. You may not be aware of what you are doing, but God is aware that you have no trust in Him at all.  You may have prayed and prayed about a situation and then shut God out completely. 

Now we come down to faith- what faith do we have if we don’t believe God will answer our prayers; why pray at all if we don’t expect an answer?   “Rest in the Lord”; have you ever really done that? Have you ever prayed about something and actually left it Gods hands? 

Our main scripture says we can trust God so completely that we can lay down and sleep and know that we are safe. The Bible goes even further when Jesus gives us this amazing invitation.  Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”   [Matthew 11:28]  This scripture is not talking about sleep that Jesus gives you; he wants to set your mind on receiving peace and to assure you that you don’t have to be anxious because he will carry your anxiety when you trust in him.

As I studied that this week, I realized how short I was of totally trusting God.  It showed my lack of faith in my God and I felt my failure all through me.  This doesn’t mean I should quit praying or believing God for my needs.  It means I need a closer walk with him; one that tells me he has a hold on me and will not let go; even when I don’t trust him.  It means I need to practice letting go and letting God!

So, where does sleep enter into the picture?  This means I need to build up my faith.  I know that sometimes when I can’t sleep at night and I run things over and over in my mind, that I’m not trusting Him.  Psalm 127:2 tells us that, “He gives his beloved sleep”.  We are his Beloved! What an amazing thing that is.  Remember this, Gods ‘Beloved’ are those who give their lives to him and trust him in everything, even our worries and troubles.

Have you ever thought you wanted to run from all of it, like Psalm 55:6, Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.” That is not how faith works; it means that you need to give God all the faith you have and trust in him with all of your heart, soul, strength and mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment