Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas on a Small Budget

Christmas on a Small Budget

Ecclesiastes 5:10 (NLT) 
                                         Those who love money will never have enough.                                                                How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness!                                                
          What became of our values regarding holidays, gifts and joy?  Let me take you back to the early 1900’s and what Christmas was all about. Christmas became a Federal Holiday in 1870 and Christmas for the average family amounted to maybe a knitted scarf or mittens and possibly a stick of candy or carved toy for the children.  Many didn’t even have Christmas trees, but families had traditions.  Some families had a quiet time in the evening and someone read the story of Jesus from the Bible. Most people had Bibles even if there were no other books in the home.  Generally, a special family dinner was served and neighbors and friends joined in the celebration.
          Over the next thirty years, things changed dramatically; it became more commercial each year.  Stores were packed with toys, Santa Claus appeared in almost every store and Christmas music filled the air.  Even window dressings became animated with elves, trees and gifts of all kind. However, the ‘reason for the season’ could be found in every city, town and village.  Nativity scenes were found in city squares, parks and in front of churches of all kinds.
          Then the World War II brought more changes in the late 30’s and in the 40’s.  Even though the celebrations continued, there was a solemnness that overshadowed it.  Young men, fathers, brothers and neighbors were far from home in other countries fighting in war-torn lands.  Our boys were there fighting so war would not reach our land.  I know this because my older brother was one of those fighting.
          Money was not plentiful for families during war time; so many things were hard to get and even food was rationed.  I still have some of those ration stamps.  I was so young then that I didn’t realize the lack of anything.  So when Christmas came around, my dad cut a tree and my older sister decorated it. Soon wrapped packages appeared under it. I was so excited I couldn’t wait for the big day to come.
          The week before Christmas, things got really mysterious.  Doors were closed and I was told to stay out.  I couldn’t open closet doors or even open dresser drawers.  Mother baked all kinds of goodies, but the best was that she had saved as much sugar as she could so she could make our homemade Fudge (sugar was also rationed).  It was cut in very small pieces and we could only have a piece now and then.  I do remember it was the best tasting fudge I ever had and I savored each bite.
          It was Christmas Eve at last.  We went to church and sang wonderful Christmas Carols that I still love today. We were given bags of candy with an apple and a peppermint stick in each bag.  In my mind, when we left church it was snowing big white flakes which were falling softly on my cheeks and nose.  It was magical to me and it seemed to be like the song we sang in church, Silent Night, Holy Night. 
          When we arrived at home, it was my bedtime and I begged to stay up and see Santa Claus, but to no avail.  I was tucked into my bed and prayers were said; I cried because I wanted to see my ‘Brovey’.  My mother prayed with me for my brother to be kept safe wherever he was that night.
          I jumped out of bed Christmas morning and ran into the living room where our tree was already lighted.  I don’t know what I expected to find, but lined up across the back of the sofa was every doll and teddy bear I had; even a stuffed clown.  Each of them were wearing new clothes right down to crocheted booties on their feet.  I didn’t know which one to play with first.  There was no new doll or fancy toy, but I loved all the old ones in new clothes.  Of course, as always, there were several new books, because I loved books and a new dress my mother made for me.  I had no idea that my parents had no money to buy new toys and such. I just thought it was a fabulous Christmas and still remember it as one of my favorites.
          I grew up knowing that Jesus was the most important thing about Christmas but today it seems that Christmas is all about gifts; expensive gifts and lots of them.  If your children love you, they will still love and what you give them, even if it’s less expensive than what they wanted. Point out to them the miracle of Baby Jesus in the manger.  Then point to the Cross and tell them again that God sent his only son so they can live forever. 
          Get them gifts that mean something to them, because all the money you spend won’t bring them happiness or joy.  Yes, they might be happy for a while, but it won’t last.  Teach them that giving is the best part of Christmas and will really make them happy.  Include them in making something for a neighbor or friend who doesn’t have much.  It doesn’t need to be expensive, but it shows that person that you care and that’s worth more than any amount of money.  Give from your heart and not your wallet.

          Above all, don’t forget why we celebrate Christmas; share the good news with friends and family, “Today, in Bethlehem, a Savior was born, who is Christ the Lord”

Every Knee Will Bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment