Monday, April 18, 2016

"Struggling With Faith"

Struggling With Faith

"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen;
it gives us assurance about the things we cannot see."  Hebrews 11:1  (NLT)

Faith is what the Bible speaks of as the foundation of a believer.  In fact in Hebrews 11:6 it says that, “It is impossible to please God without faith.”  Then the rest of the chapter gives us examples from the Old Testament of those great people of old from Adam’s son, Abel, all the way to Moses.  They had unbelievable faith even though they did not see the fruit in their lifetime.

We see their great faith because we know the end of their stories, but there were times that they struggled with faith.  I would say that most Christians struggle with their faith at times.  I would like to share a true story with you about faith and let you come to your own conclusion.

I was a young mother and my first daughter as a baby had come through polio, meningitis and pneumonia.  At the time she was 8 years old and was left with severe curvature of her spine.  My neighbor was a devout Catholic and I was a Presbyterian, but we believed that God still healed people.  We decided to pray together and believe God would heal my daughter.

That night when I put her to bed, I laid hands on her and prayed for a miracle.  I hardly slept that night waiting for morning to come.  I ran to her room and pulled back her covers, but her spine was still curved.  I quietly left her room and sat down at my kitchen table weeping for a long time.  I was so sure she was going to be healed, but it didn’t happen.  Little did I know at that time what God had in store for her future.

After years of spinal fusions and therapy, among other problems, her spine was never healed, yet God has led her on mission trips around the world.  She has ministered to thousands of people of all nationalities and countless people came to know the Lord because of her testimony.  She is still leading people to the Lord through singing, Bible studies and teaching.  The doctors in her early years never thought she would live very long or be able to do much of anything, but she is a walking miracle and unstoppable in her faith.

There is so much more to her story (which was published in Guideposts magazine), but getting back to “Faith”.  The morning that she wasn’t healed and I sat at my table crying, I was angry at God and wouldn’t believe in miracles ever again.  I didn’t go to church for many years, although I sent my children to Sunday School.  I did what many people do when they start blaming God for something that didn’t turn out the way they think it should; my faith dropped to nonexistence.

God was still with me and led me in a journey where my faith took root and grew again because I asked Jesus into my heart and I’ve never looked back.  My four children are grown now and along the way I prayed for them every day and had faith to believe they would come to asking Jesus into their heart.  Now, they are all born again, filled with the Holy Spirit and serving the Lord.  Praise God for His faithfulness!

My faith continues to grow, although I haven’t moved any mountains yet.  When I am weak, God is strong.  In recent years God has given me faith to overcome cancer, a broken shoulder and serious back surgery with fusions. I used to carry my eight-year old daughter around because I had a strong back.  Now my back is weak and my legs aren’t strong, but I know God is with me.  I have faith in what He tells me from the Bible, “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

If you have faith enough to know that there is a God, if you believe that God had a Son, Jesus, then you have faith.  Jesus said, “He would never leave us or forsake us.”  Believe it!  In Ephesians 2:8 (KJV), the Bible explains how we get ‘faith’.  “For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.” The Lord covers even the details of having faith. 

Here is the clincher; God gives you faith and faith grows by using it.  Your answer doesn’t always come by tomorrow or the next day; it may take years and it may not even be answered in your lifetime.

By faith, Abraham believed what God told him thousands of years ago; He told him about the Promised Land and today we see the fruit of it in the nation of Israel.  The Jewish people have always struggled, but Israel is God’s Promised Land and it remains today.  Have faith in what God has promised and it will come true.

When I go to be with the Lord, I want written on my tombstone this scripture, “I have fought the good fight; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.”  2 Timothy 4:7 (NKJV)



No comments:

Post a Comment