Monday, March 14, 2016

"Why Should You Be Born Again?"

Why Should You be Born Again?

                             “Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you                                                unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”   John 3:3

Jesus had been preaching during his 3-year time of ministry on this earth and for many of the people who listened, some of the things he said didn’t make any sense.  One of those people was Nicodemus, a Jewish Pharisee and a member of the Sanhedrin.  The Sanhedrin was the ruling body of judges who laid down the laws for the Jewish people and judged the people as well.  It was similar to our Supreme Court. 

Nicodemus was a very wise man and one who wanted to understand more of Jesus’ teachings.  He slipped away at night to meet with Jesus because the Sanhedrin were not happy with Jesus and his teachings.  So he said to Jesus, Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.”  [John 3:2] Apparently there were others who wanted to understand Jesus and perhaps Nicodemus was their spokesman.  Jesus knew what they were curious about and so he said, “You will never get to heaven unless you become ‘born again’. 

Nicodemus was puzzled by this remark.  Anyone who has logical thinking understands that you can’t crawl back in your mother’s womb and come out again.  Jesus explained it to him, Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.”  John 3:5-7 (NLT)

This answer seems pretty plain, but raises more questions like, “Are you born again when you get baptized?”  The answer to that is ‘no’! Baptism is just an outward sign of an inward experience. There is one way and one way only to be ‘Born Again’ and that is to accept the fact that you are a sinner and ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and come live in your heart (spirit). (John 3:16)

Another question comes to mind. Why does a person need to be born again?  Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.” (John 3:5) So without being Born Again’, when you die you will not go to heaven!  I don’t think that can be any clearer.

Someone once told me that I didn’t have to worry about going to heaven because I was a good person and never did anything really evil and was not a sinner.  Then I read in Romans 3:23, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”.  I realized that I was dead in my sins and had to ask the Lord to forgive me of all my sins and He did.  He took that load of sin and regret I carried for so long andHe has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.” Psalm 103:12 (NLT)

 When that load of sin was removed by me repenting I became a new person.  Instantly, my heart was changed and even my thoughts.  I felt as innocent as a new born and by God’s Spirit, I was ‘born again’.  This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)

The Title of this Blog is, Why Should I be Born Again?  I think it is explained clearly in the Bible and I suggest if you are not, you should try it because the benefits are the best you’ll ever have; you will live forever in heaven.  The alternative is not so good; going to hell to burn forever.  It’s a choice only you can make and no one can do it for you. I pray that you will make the right decision. 


No comments:

Post a Comment