Friday, February 26, 2016

"Winter Doldrums"


“Winter Doldrums”

“Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God;    
      for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”  Psalms 42:11

Doldrums is defined as a gloomy feeling, low spirits, or a time of inactivity. There another meaning of ‘Doldrums’ that were common in the days of sailing ships.  When sailors came to a place in the ocean where the Pacific and the Atlantic met, there was a low-pressure around the equator and the winds became calm. Without winds the ships could not move and was stranded there for days or weeks until the trade winds began to blow again.  Sailors called this the ‘Doldrums’.

For us today an example may be stuck in your house during a weeklong snow storm.  Not being able to get out to attend church or other weekly activities can actually bring on mild depression.  You may feel stagnant physically and spiritually.  Those who are recovering from surgery or disabilities tend to feel useless and may even feel that God has deserted them.

Don’t be discouraged – You are able to get past this and I am going to tell you how to do it.  First you need to get out your Bible and see that God has not forsaken you.  In Deuteronomy 31:8, God gives you this promise which is as good today as it was in the Old Testament, It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” You can always count on God’s promises because He can’t lie.  What he says is true. Read this several times and believe it.

Now in the New Testament in John 16:33, Jesus knew that you were someday going to go through hard times, maybe even the Doldrums and so Jesus sent these words to you today. “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”  You see, Jesus wants you to have peace in your heart, because when you have peace, you still have hope in tomorrow and for the days to come.
It says it even more clearly in Jeremiah 29:11, For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”  I don’t care if you are 20 years old or if you are 80 or 90, God has a plan for you or you wouldn’t even be here. He gives you hope and yes, even a future because you are part of His plan.  Every day you should give God thanks for what he has given you.
Now to the next step which is to get past yourself.  Quit dwelling on yourself and your own problems. It is time for you to start thinking about helping others.  It is what God wants you to do.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4 shows us how and why we should do this.  God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.”  Surely you know another person who is troubled, sick or filled with sadness.  Call them and encourage them with a scripture like Psalm 34:17, “When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.” 
How many times in just this past year or two I wished that someone would call me or write to me with an encouraging word and sometimes they do.  But, because I love the Word of God, I can get encouragement from the Bible.  So because of that I can call to encourage others.  My husband and family are great encouragers. I thank God for each of them.
Today, I thank God for each of you and I pray that you will be encouraged by the words I have written in these Blogs.  I feel it is the Lord who gives these to me so I might pass them on to you, the reader.  You see, I can’t do all the things I used to do when I taught Bible Classes for so many, many years.  I can no longer play piano for church, or direct choirs, or even sing, but God has a plan for me, just as He does for you.  I found I could set down to my computer and send these messages to others who need to hear them.  This is my ministry for this time in my life’s journey and I love doing it. 
This is part of the plan God has for me, and it may be different than yours, but I have hope in my future and that hope is in Jesus Christ. 
If you are suffering from the Doldrums, follow these instructions and you will find yourself filled with hope and joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment