Monday, December 7, 2015

"THE GIFT OF CHRISTMAS"


The Gift of Christmas

“This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.”        I John 4:10

Some of you are shopping for Christmas gifts and a few are already finished.  I spend a lot of time looking at ads in the paper and checking things on the internet trying to think what certain people would really like.  I don’t enjoy randomly buying just to get it over with.  It has to be a gift that I think one would like to have and enjoy. One of my favorite things to get for my grown grandchildren and other family members is a subscription to the “Guideposts” magazine.  It’s so inspiring and it is a gift that gives all year long.  When they are grown they have their own likes and dislikes, but who doesn’t like inspiring and encouraging stories?

Children can become so blinded by lights and glitter, they don’t connect Baby Jesus birth with the real gift of Christmas.  As a child, I knew only one thing about Christmas – Santa Claus!  Of course I heard the story about Baby Jesus who was born in a stable, but didn’t connect the two together for Christmas.  It took a few more years for me to realize that the word, ‘Christmas’ was used to celebrate the event of the birth of Jesus, because it shows us the ‘Christ’ in Christmas.  Several years went by; years of joy and years of unhappiness.  There was always a yearning in my heart for something more in life and didn’t know what it was until the day he let me see what was missing in my life; it was Jesus Christ.

He introduced himself to me 36 years ago and I was never to be the same again.  He took my sins and cast them in the depth of the sea, never to be remembered again.  I was forgiven of all the sinful things I did, or thought; I became a new person.  I pray that I continue to become a better person as I am led by the Holy Spirit. As time goes on I find myself being blessed over and over again.  I am so grateful that God sent His son to bring me out of darkness into His light.

Looking back, I can remember several special gifts I received at Christmas. The first one was my favorite doll, Ginger; white ice skates, my first skis, a stack of Nancy Drew books and my first lipstick.  I was very excited over all these gifts, but the greatest gift I ever received was Jesus.  When God gave his son, He gave the ultimate gift; his Son! We should really get very excited over this.

Let’s look deeper into this gift.  Why is it so great?
Number 1: We can live with abundant joy.
Number 2: We can find peace and contentment.
Number 3: We will never go without our needs being met.
Number 4: He promises that we will spend eternity in heaven.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.  When we accept the gift he has for us, all these good things will be given to us.  We read in the Bible about Joseph and Mary, who traveled to Bethlehem where Jesus was born.  The shepherds came and worshiped the Baby and the wise men came from a great distance to pay homage to the Child.  They fell on their knees before Him because they knew and understood who he was. 

You cannot experience Christmas for what it is, if you don’t know the Christ in Christmas. Come Christmas morning, your heart should be full of joy and thankfulness for the gift of eternal life that he is offering.  Ask Jesus to be Lord of your life and he will stand by you in all circumstances.

Won’t you think about this? When we accept this Gift; we must pass it on to others.  What other gift would last forever and ever?  What other gift would cost you nothing and yet be more valuable than any other thing this world has to offer?  Make this Christmas the best you ever had by asking Jesus into your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment