Saturday, August 9, 2014

SMILE!


Smile
 
Hannah prayed and said: "My heart rejoices in the LORD; my horn {my strength} is exalted in      the LORD.  I smile at my enemies, because I rejoice in your salvation.”   1 Samuel 2:1

            I am always amazed at what a ‘Smile’ does for a person’s face.  It is the most transforming act one can do.  It can light up a grumpy face; soften a harsh look and give the appearance of being a friend to whoever it is directed to.  I believe a smile is a gift that God has given every face.  What you do with that gift is what counts.
            I never thought too much about it until many years ago a music album by Nat King Cole came out with a song called ‘Smile’. You can find it on U-tube if you want to listen to it, but the words went like this:
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by.
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

            I decided to practice this technique and I do it often.  When I’m in a store I watch for someone with a sad or a mean face coming toward me and smile at them.  It never fails that they smile back and seem to brighten up.  A tired mother wandering through the store with a little one in the seat and one or two following behind, lifts her head a little higher.  She needs the encouragement your smile gives; it says, “I’ve been there and it gets better.”
            You may be struggling yourself, or you may be ill or sad, but when you smile at someone, it encourages your own self.  Like the song says, “If you smile through fear and sorrow, smile and maybe tomorrow, you’ll see the sun come shining through for you.”

            When my younger sister was dying with cancer, I would go to her house and we would pray together and even cry together, but the best times were when we laughed together.  I always walked in with a smile and before you knew it, we were talking about the funny, silly things we had done in the past and then she would laugh.  She loved to laugh and that’s how I will remember her.
            The above scripture about Hannah says it all;” My heart rejoices in the LORD; my strength is exalted in the LORD. I smile at my enemies”.  The strength that God gives you can see you through anything; it will give you the ability to smile in the face of troubles.  As in the song about, “life is still worthwhile, if you just smile.”

            Prayer for the day:  “Lord, please give me the ability to smile no matter what comes my way.  Let others see you in me and help be to be an encourager.  I know I lack the ability to minister to others, but I can still smile.  Please help me to light up the day for a soul that needs some cheer.”  Amen!


Me on the left and my sister, Linda
 

1 comment: