Sunday, April 20, 2014

POWER IN THE BLOOD


Power in the Blood

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with
another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7).

            As I sat in our Good Friday service, the praise team sang beautiful songs about Jesus and the Cross.  One song touched me deeply, even though I had heard it many times before; “Nothing But the Blood of Jesus.”  It goes like this:
O precious is the flow,
That cleansed me white as snow.
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

The tears began to fall, as once again I thought about my salvation and what Jesus went through so my past sins were washed away.

            Later that day I went to therapy and listened to my therapist gently and lovingly witness to a young boy about Jesus.  I could barely hold back the tears of thankfulness for the presence of the Holy Spirit.      

            Saturday, I went to the funeral of a precious saint in my church.  Her daughter, husband and her mother could not hold back their grief.  I grabbed my daughter’s hand, who was sitting next to me, and began to weep as I whispered to her, “I could never bear to lose one of my children.”  As sad as this was, the presence of the Holy Spirit was in that place and I was once again reminded of what Jesus did on the cross.

            Romans 8:28 gives us amazing insight as to one of the most asked question of Christians, “Why do people get sick and die when we pray for them to live?”  The Bible tells us that Jesus took stripes on his back so we might be healed, so why aren’t they healed? “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God...”  God knows our beginning and our end and even though we can’t always see the outcome, He is working things out for the good.  Some day we will know and understand.
            “Nothing but the blood of Jesus, He shed his blood for that young boy in therapy who doesn’t yet know him.  He shed his blood for that dear lady from our church and she was washed clean and right now is rejoicing with Jesus.  There is so much more power in the blood of Jesus and we don’t even realize it. 

            Some churches never talk about the ‘Blood’ because it makes people uncomfortable.  Yet, how can you talk about Easter, or salvation, or healing without understanding the power in the blood of Jesus?  The blood grants us forgiveness of sins (Col 1:14).  The blood gives us peace and obtains eternal redemption (Heb. 9:12).  The blood cleanses us from all sin (I John 1:17).  When we take Communion, we are sharing in the New Covenant which is through shedding of the blood of Jesus (Luke 22:20).
            The Blood of Jesus is a Holy and powerful thing, that without it, not one person would go to heaven when they die.  The power in the blood of Jesus has conquered death and the grave.  The enemy, Satan, will be destroyed eternally by Jesus’ shed blood. 

We cannot ignore the power in the blood of Jesus when we read in Matthew 26:27-28 that we should take communion as a remembrance by eating bread to signify his body broken on the cross.  “Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you.  For this is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.”
            Easter is one of my favorite celebrations of the year; Jesus rose from the dead and it was a new beginning.  No wonder trees, bushes and flowers begin to grow, bringing new life to the earth this time of year.  It always reminds me of a special scripture in Lamentations 3:22-23; “The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.”  Just think! Every morning God’s mercies are new.  This Easter is the perfect time to renew your faith and by the Power in the blood Jesus, be cleansed and filled with peace.




















No comments:

Post a Comment