Monday, August 12, 2013

TRUSTING GOD DOESN’T STOP WITH SUNDAY


TRUSTING GOD DOESN’T STOP WITH SUNDAY

“In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”

Psalm 56:11 (NKJV)


            There are 719 occurrences in the Bible that tell us to trust in God.  These verses give us a variety of reasons why we should trust Him, but to summarize them; we should trust God for ALL things.  We know that God is always there; he hears every prayer and sees everything that is happening to us. 

            Now, we know this is true and we hear about it in church on Sunday, but do we thing about it the rest of the week.  It’s easy to believe it when the preacher says it or when someone gives a heart-felt testimony, but when Monday rolls around; we seem to only trust ourselves.  Just because we don’t think about it the rest of the week doesn’t mean that God isn’t with us.

            Earlier this week I stopped in Dollar General (not advertising) and picked up a few things.  I had put my debit card in my pants pocket and when I checked out I put my bag in the car and headed out to meet my daughter-in-law at McDonalds (no advertising here either).  We went inside for a short visit.  As we were leaving I put my hand in my pocket and realized my card wasn’t there (sick feeling).  I quickly called the store while my daughter-in-law went through my bag of purchases.  There was no card; the store hadn’t seen it either.

            I jumped in my car and headed back down the street to the store.  I prayed a simple prayer, “Lord, please let me find my card.”  As I pulled in a parking space, I could see something bright orange lying on the cement.  I hurried to pick it up and it was my debit card just about a foot from the entrance.  A young couple was sitting in their truck with the windows down.  They watched me pick up the card and so I said to them that I had lost my card about 45 minutes earlier and here it was.  He looked at me and smiled and then said with emphasis, “Thank God!” 

            I replied, “Thank God indeed”.  I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that my heavenly father had blinded the eyes of those many people who went in and out of that store.  I must trust God for everything in my life because He always comes through for me.  I don’t always see it, but I know he is there beside me in all situations.

            God’s answers aren’t’ always what I want, but he knows what’s best for me.  “I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”  (Psalm 91:2)  Your faith may be stronger on Sunday and your trust may be weaker the rest of the week, but he is still there.  Trusting in yourself is a sure downer.  If you think nothing will happen if you don’t take care of it, is surely headed for failure. 

            Yes, we must do all we can to get through things, but without trusting God for help and direction is losing sight of who you are as a believer.  God is with you everyday and even every night because, as the Bible tells us, “Indeed, God who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps.” Psalm 121:4 (NLT)
            Don’t leave your faith and trust at church on Sunday; carry it with you all week, then you won’t get stressed, or worn out.  You can say with King David who wrote Psalm 20:7, “Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment