Sunday, May 19, 2013

CAUGHT IN A STORM


Caught In A Storm

 
 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”                 Matthew 14:27 (NLT)
“You have so little faith,” Jesus said.  “Why did you doubt?  When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.  Matthew 14:31-32 (NLT)

            Jesus went off by himself to pray and the disciples headed across the lake.  A storm came up and the waves were crashing over the boat; they feared they would drown.  Then unexpectedly Jesus came walking across the water and the storm calmed and they were saved.  There is much more to this story and you can read it in the Bible, but today let’s concentrate on the storm and the fear of drowning in it.
            Many I know, including myself, have been hit by a storm recently.  Suddenly you find the wind and waves coming at you; you try to get up and another wave hits you.  You wonder if you are going to go under because the waves keep coming and you can’t see the shore.  Then the fear sets in and it speaks to you.

            “You’re never going to get out of this storm; so why don’t you just give up and drown.” 
            At this point you are in real trouble because you are listening to the lies of the devil.  You have let fear enter your spirit.  It’s true!  2 Timothy 1:7 says:  For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”   If fear is not from God, then it must be from the enemy of our soul.  You were not born with fear because God fashioned you in his image.  Fear is an emotion that inhibits our dependence on God and surely He would not give you that.

            In our younger years we can pick up certain things from the people around us.  Let me give you an example.  When I was about 3 years old (I can still remember every detail), I was playing in the dining room and my aunt and uncle were visiting along with their 10-year old son, Lyle.  All of a sudden my mother began screaming and climbed up on the dining room table.  I was so frightened and tried to get up on a chair.  I began crying hysterically as Mother kept screaming and yelling about a rat.    What really happened was that my cousin, Lyle, had a white rat for a pet and had let it loose. That incident traumatized me for the rest of my life and I am still terrified when I see a mouse; dead or alive.  Sadly, I have passed that on to some of my children.
            The truth is that almost everyone has something they fear and at those times, faith runs away.  In this scripture we see that Jesus admonished the disciples for their lack of faith and said to them, “You have so little faith.  Why did you doubt me?”  

            It doesn’t matter if you are in a boat, or going through a physical storm; don’t lose your faith to fear.  Jesus is walking on the waves to come to you.  He doesn’t hesitate to get into the boat with you and when he does, the storm calms right down.  “Don’t be afraid,” he says, “I will ride out this storm with you.”
            The Bible tells us that the rain falls on the just [believers] the same as the unjust [unbelievers] because we live in this world.  We don’t realize that we are aliens visiting planet earth; “For we are aliens and pilgrims before You, as were all our fathers.”  1 Chronicles 29:15 (NKJV)  Some versions say we are [sojourners], which means, (a temporary stay).

            The interesting thing about all of this is that God has given us a choice; to give up and drown, or to listen to Jesus who tells us to; “Take courage; I am here.”  Don’t give in to fear and hopelessness.  He is our Hope in all situations.
“Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, and whose hope is the LORD.  For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes; but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit.  Jeremiah 17:7-8 (NKJV)






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment