Sunday, April 14, 2013


Out of the Depths of Despair

 
Psalm 130:1&2 “Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD;   (2) Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.”

            Is this where you are today?  Are you in the depths of despair about a situation that you have no control over?  Can it get worse?  Have you lost all hope?  Psalm 69:2-3 “I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me.  (3)  I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My eyes fail, looking for my God.”
            Perhaps you feel like you are sinking down into deep places where all hope is gone.  Let me encourage you with HOPE!  And this is it – Hope is born of God’s great love.  Psalm 69: 13-15 “But I pray to you, O LORD, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters.  Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me.”
            So much of the time we look for our own solid ground, but continue to drown, or sink and we feel claustrophobic, or feel like we’re being closed in all around us.  At times we question why we feel the way we do.  Do you know, even the great men of faith had times they went through this.  King David asked this question, “Why are you cast down, oh, my soul?” Turn to Psalm 42, beginning with verse 5,   Psalm 42:5 “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?” and then verse 11 –Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
            Why am I in the “depths of despair and how can I get out?  There are 3 basic questions that I want you to ask yourself.  1) What is this HOPE?  2) How can I find HOPE?   3) How can I depend on HOPE?  I’m going to answer these three questions based solely on the scriptures.

1.         What is this hope? – Let’s go to Psalm 146:5.  “Blessed is he whose hope is in the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord, his God, the maker of heaven and earth, the sea and everything in them -the Lord who remains faithful forever.”

The word, ‘Hope’ means to: want and expect something from someone or something. If you are in the ‘depths of despair’, you are wanting something, but not expecting something.  It is want without expectation.  It means you have no hope.  Without hope it is only wishful thinking, or luck, or by chance and probably your chances aren’t very good.
            This scripture also tells me that the person who hopes in God is blessed and a blessed person’s soul is not cast down, or in despair.  He, or she, isn’t depending on luck, but on the very one who created us and everything around us – earth, sky and sea.  God is forever – he is eternal.  He isn’t going to disappear like people sometimes do.  He’s going to bless you when to look to him for help and hope.
            Verse 8 says, “The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down.”  When we are in this condition, God will lift us up if we put our trust in Him.  Therefore, HOPE is intertwined with Trust.  So, the answer to “What is this hope?” is - real hope comes from trusting God and expecting an answer to our trouble!

 2.         How can I find hope?  All we have to do is ask.  Don’t wait until you’ve exhausted all other means.  “Seek the Lord while he may be found.”  Isaiah 55:6.  Ask God now for ‘hope’.  When you do, strength comes to you.  When we are bowed down, when our soul is cast down, and we are in the ‘depths of despair’, we need strength from somewhere and that strength is this:  “Be of good courage and he will strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord.”
          I’m going to give you a list of scriptures in ways hope can be found:

              1.         Hope in God through praise.  Ps. 42:5 “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And
                          why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
                         for the help of His countenance.”

2.         Keep his commandments.   Ps. 78:7 “That they may set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments”.

3.         Hope is found in His Word.  Ps 119:114 “You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.”

4.         Hope in His Mercy.  Ps 147:11 “The LORD takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy.”

5.         Hope in God’s love.  Romans 5:5  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” 

6.         Hope through prayer.  Romans 12:12 “rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;”

There are so many ways to find Hope if we look for it.  To just sit and give up should not be in a Christian’s vocabulary.  In the Old Testament in the book of Job, we see Job’s despair when he says,  “For I am utterly helpless, without any hope.” Job 6:13 (TLB)  Yet, in the end God blessed him with more than he had in the beginning.  He proved to Job that no one is ever ‘hopeless’.

3.         How can I depend on hope?  Did you see the Frog at the top of the page?  It is an awesome example of trusting God.  FROG:  Fully Rely On God.  If I fully rely on God, we can depend on receiving God’s hope.  How do I know that?  Roman’s 5:5 tells us, “And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” 

If you believe in God, then you must also believe in His Word and His Word says that He is the God of Hope.  Romans 15:13  “May the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

If you believe in Jesus, the Son of God, then you must believe in hope, for I Timothy 1:1 says, “Christ Jesus, our Hope.”  To sum it all up, “Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.”   I Peter 1:21

SO…if you are in the ‘Depths of Despair’ today and don’t know what to do about your situation, look up!  The God of Hope will never give you more than you can bear. (1 Cor. 10:14)  Are you without HOPE – wanting something, but expecting nothing?  Tonight, call out to God and tell him what you want.  He wants to supply your need, whatever that need may be.
            Are you in need of a job?  Are your children not serving God?  Are your finances depleted?  Is your marriage failing?  He is the God of Hope and the supplier of our need. Then – ask God if you need to change.  Are you willing to work where God sends you?
               Could you change and become a better spouse in your marriage?  Are you a good steward of the finances God has entrusted to you?  Do you tithe?  Sometimes God asks us to do something we don’t want to do, in order for us to put our hope in Him.  Let’s pray about these things right now and climb out of those depths and set our feet on the ‘solid ground’, which is Christ Jesus.
Is there something God wants you to do to bring your children into the fold?
            This is what he will do: “He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.”  Psalm 40:2

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment