Saturday, March 2, 2013

Making Sacrifices


Making Sacrifices


            My granddaughter was talking to me last week about those who observe Lent, which in simple terms is to give up something you enjoy during the time leading up to Easter.  Although I do not observe this Lenten practice, I fully believe in sacrificing.  As I thought on this subject I began to think about the various types of sacrifices people make.
            Tithing (giving 10% of what you make) is not considered a sacrifice.  In the Old Testament book of Malachi tithing is what is required of us, but beyond that is gifts and offerings.  What is a monetary sacrifice is when you give beyond what you think you can afford.  It reminded me of the story in Mark 12:42-44 (TLB), “Then a poor widow came and dropped in two pennies.  He called his disciples to him and remarked, "That poor widow has given more than all those rich men put together!  For they gave a little of their extra fat, while she gave up her last penny.”  This is a true sacrifice when you give all you have.
            Giving of your time may be considered a sacrifice.  Helping a friend, a neighbor, or someone you don’t even know when you hardly have time to take care of your own things is certainly a sacrifice.  
            Giving of your things to those in need can be a sacrifice if what you are giving you really could use yourself. 
            In Old Testament times we read where the Jewish people would take a sheep, or a lamb, or even a dove up to their temple and it would be burned on the altars for forgiveness of sins.  The interesting thing about these sacrifices is that God wanted them to give the best they had; no maimed or blind animals would be sacrificed.
            An amazing story in Genesis about Abraham is that he waited all his long life for a son and then God told him to go sacrifice the boy.  However, at the moment, God stopped him from plunging the knife into his son and nearby was a ram caught in the bushes which he then sacrificed on the altar instead of his son.  Abraham, though grieved beyond endurance was willing to obey God with such a great sacrifice.
            Another type of sacrifice is that of giving a life to save another.  War is a great example of that.  We often hear of soldiers who sacrificed their own life to save that of another soldier.  There are so many heroes in times of war who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
            The dictionary describes sacrifice as “the giving of one thing or one’s self for a greater cause.”  At times I have thought I have made a sacrifice by giving up my plans for someone else’s plan.  After studying what the scriptures define as a ‘sacrifice’, I really doubt I have done this very often.  As a parent, many of you have had to sacrifice for your children in many different ways, but is that really the point of sacrifice?
            I keep going back to the wealthy young ruler who wanted to follow Jesus; “Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."   Matthew 19:21 (NKJV)  I can hear many ask the question, “Everything, Lord?”  I can imagine that Jesus would reply, “Yes, everything”. 

            “Well, what about my home, we have to have a place to live?”
             “Yes, give it all.”

            “What about my car, I have to have a way to get to work?”  
             “Yes, give it all.”

            “What about my spouse and my children?”    
              “Yes, I take them, too.”

            “All I have left is myself, Lord?
            “Absolutely.  That’s what I really wanted in the first place.”

      A sacrifice must be given from the heart, or it’s not really a sacrifice.  I have to admit it is generally hard to get ‘self’ off the throne of our hearts.  I’m working on it because of those in the Bible who have the example.  If our heart is in it when we give of ourselves, it won’t feel like a sacrifice, but will be a great feeling of joy that we can do it.
            After all, Jesus made the greatest sacrifice when he gave himself, who was without sin, to die for our sins.  He poured his life out for you and me so that we can be forgiven and can live for eternity with Him in heaven.  
            If you believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died so you might be forgiven of all your sins; if you asked him to live in your heart, then heaven will be your home.  Perhaps right now you want to ask Jesus to be a part of your life, you can do this by just quietly ask him to forgive you and come live in your heart.  It’s that simple.  You’ll be glad you did.

 




 

           

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment